We love those dishes that taste outstanding and have a flavor that people love, but can’t quite pinpoint what all is in the recipe that makes it taste so good. We watch them continue to take bites and ponder what the secret ingredient could be and we wait until everyone’s finished before explaining the greatness of the recipe. Today we’re here to share our toasted pecan chicken skillet – it’s definitely one of our favorite dishes we’ve made recently!
So the toasty pecans give this chicken skillet a depth of flavor that we can’t get enough of, but the more behind-the-scenes ingredients are working hard to blend together in that creamy sauce. Orange marmalade for the faintest hint of sweetness, Dijon mustard for a little bite, plus, plenty of herbs and spices to round everything out – and you know we poured in a (hearty) splash of heavy cream to smooth things out and give things the perfect richness…this stuff is just so good.
This is some of the best chicken we’ve ever made, but it’s really the sauce that completely steals the show; we would dive into it and swim around if we could, it’s that yummy. We know we’ll be making this chicken for a long while to come, but if, on the off chance, we get tired of chicken, we’ll make the same sauce and put it on pork, potatoes and just about anything else we can think of. It doesn’t get better than this toasted pecan chicken!
30 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thinness
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat butter or olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned on both sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium, then pour in heavy whipping cream, orange marmalade, mustard, Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powders, and salt and pepper. Mix in toasted pecans.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, then return chicken to pan and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice or spinach.
Recipe adapted from Plain Chicken