There’s nothing like a simple treat to whip up when things get crazy. We love a rich and dynamic dessert just as much as the next person, but there’s something about an understated dessert that really speaks to us. Maybe it’s the break from all the elaborate dishes and sweets, but whatever it is, these vanilla hazelnut muffins make a lovely snack (perfect for breakfast, an afternoon pick-me-up, or a sweet note to end the night on).
Apart from one or two ingredients, you most likely already have everything you need for these muffins, and this recipe (excluding the nuts and almond extract) acts as the perfect base on which you can build any number of treats! To us, nothing emotes the true meaning of the holiday season quite like something unassumingin nature that will bring people together and these muffins do just that. People will come running for these, so let the muffins do some of the work while you focus on loved ones–enjoy!
Vanilla Hazelnut Muffins
Yields 1 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, plus 2/3 cup
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line muffin tin with cupcake/muffin liners.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat together the milk, oil and egg until thoroughly combined.
- Gradually pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir to incorporate. Pour in vanilla and almond extracts and mix until just combined.
- Place 1/2 cup hazelnuts in food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
- Fold hazelnuts into muffin batter.
- Pour batter into muffin tins, about 1/4-1/3 cup per muffin, or until tin is 2/3 full.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and gently top muffins with remaining hazelnuts.
- Return to oven and finish cooking for another 5-10 minutes, or until muffins are springy to the touch.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes, then remove from muffin tin to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Kid Spot