Sweet & Simple Dessert Recipe: Lemon Cupcakes
One of the best things about lemon-related desserts is the way they’re so different from the pack. Lemon is a great flavor, it cleanses the palate and provides a little zing to something that can otherwise taste cloying. It’s also pretty cute if you top them with edible flowers, but maybe that’s just us…. Lemon cupcakes are some of our favorites around here and we like them extra lemony, so we thought we’d share how to get the perfect amount of tart zestiness into these sweet treats!
(Makes 15 cupcakes)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 large lemon)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 splash heavy cream, if needed
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line your cupcake tins.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together until yellow, thick and fluffy. Beat in your eggs, one at a time, waiting for each to be fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Mix in vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- Gently add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, a few tablespoons at a time, alternating with the milk. Start and finish with the flour. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling 3/4 full and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 15-17 minutes.
- Remove trays from oven and allow to cool.
- In your mixer, whip butter with lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Remember to scrape the sides of your bowl.
- Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time and add lemon juice and vanilla. If needed, add in splash of heavy cream to lighten the frosting.
- Continue whipping until very fluffy. Wait until your cupcakes are cooled, then pipe or spread your frosting.
- Edible garnish optional—enjoy!
Recipe adapted fromCrazy For CrustSKM: below-content placeholder