People will be so impressed you made these!
If you’re in need of a fancier entrée than you typically make, whether it’s for date night or a birthday or some other special occasion, you’ve come to the right place. What we’ve got here are cheesy spinach and mushroom-stuffed flank steak spirals. Yup, these things look incredible and taste even better – people will be so impressed you made them! While they look fancy and technically tricky to make, these bad boys are actually pretty easy to whip up. Start with flank steak, onions and mushrooms, spinach and provolone cheese and then you’re good to go….
To start, you’re going to sauté the onions and mushroom until the onions have just started to caramelize; these are going to then get spread on top of the steak. Then you’ll make a layer of spinach on top of the veggies before adding a top layer of provolone that goes over everything. Working so that the grain of the meat is going horizontally, tightly roll the flank steak into a spiral and use toothpicks to keep it in place. Slice it up, then sear it quickly on both sides until they’re perfectly browned, then pop ‘em in the oven to finish cooking in there! You end up with medium rare stuffed steak rolls that are practically overflowing with melted cheese and flavorful veggies. Yummm.
We can’t say enough good things about this dish. It’s healthy and delicious, not to mention seriously impressive, and it really makes a big impact, making it the perfect thing to make for loved ones. We talk about the importance of meals that are easy to make and that require little to no effort, but that’s all so that we can enjoy the times when we do decide to put a bit more effort into a meal, as we did with these steak rolls. The payoff is huge and everyone will be thrilled you made them!
Stuffed Steak Rolls
Serves 4-6; 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Vidalia onions, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups baby portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 (4 oz.) package baby spinach
- 9 slices provolone cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat, then sauté onions and mushroom for 6-8 minutes, or until softened.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and stir in Italian seasoning.
- Once softened, add garlic and cook for another 10 minutes, or until onions start to caramelize.
- Lay flank steak on cutting board and season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Spread sautéed veggies on top of steak, then cover with a layer of spinach and a layer of provolone.
- Press down gently, then roll into a tight roll. Note: make sure grain of meat is running horizontally.
- Use skewers or toothpicks to keep roll in place, then slice into 6 rolls.
- Heat remaining oil in a large pan or skillet over high heat and sear steak rolls for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Transfer steak rolls to oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until medium rare.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Gimme Delicious