Pudding is an ultimate comfort food for us. We love cakes and bars and tarts as much as the next person – probably more so, if we’re being honest – but that doesn’t mean we forget all about the more humble desserts. Humble, but oh so delicious, just like this strawberry pudding. Forget using a store-bought pudding mix for this tasty dessert, it’s all about making it from-scratch here…it’s so amazingly yummy, you’ll see!
While you could make a strawberry reduction for extra flavor, we found that to be a timely process that wasn’t necessary. Puréeing fresh strawberries gives you the freshness that makes this pudding so perfect, plus, it means you can throw this homemade pudding together in under half an hour…it’s light, yet full of flavor and just the right way to take advantage of all those ripe summer strawberries! We can’t get enough of this pudding, and you’ll see how good it is – chocolate pudding shouldn’t get all the attention when this stuff is just as good!
Serves 6-8; 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz.) package strawberries, puréed
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together flour, cornstarch and salt, then pour milk and heavy cream into the pot.
- Whisk together and stir in puréed strawberries, then bring mixture to a low boil and stir in vanilla extract.
- While stirring continuously, pour 1/3 cup hot milk mixture into bowl with egg yolks, slowly raising the temperature of the eggs.
- Stir in another 1/3 cup warm milk mixture, then whisk egg yolks into warmed milk mixture.
- Cook over medium-low heat until pudding has thickened, then remove from heat and let cool.
Recipe adapted from Love Foodies