If there’s anything better than a sweet snack it’s a crunchy one. Combine the two and you’re in snack hall of fame territory. And that’s just what you get with this s’mores popcorn snack mix.
All the flavors you love about classic s’mores come together with the added sweetness and crunch of caramel popcorn. Plus, there’s no messy s’mores to worry about. While we love the s’mores tradition for camping, replicating this in your own kitchen can be difficult- and messy. This is a much better version of s’mores to satisfy a crowd.
To start with you’ll need a bag of caramel popcorn. Use whichever brand you like the most. Pour it out into a jelly roll pan or a roasting pan. You want a pan with deep enough sides that the pieces doesn’t spill out, but shallow enough that once you pour the melted chocolate on top you’re not left with too much untouched mixture underneath.
Then to that add in 2 sleeves of broken up graham cracker pieces. Under no circumstances crush them, you only want about 1″ pieces here. If you’re making this with kids or you just want a shortcut you can use Golden Grahams cereal instead. Add in the mini marshmallows and then mix it all up.
Next you melt your chocolate chips in the microwave, taking care not to overheat them or else the texture will change and it may become unusable. Drizzle the chocolate on top of the snack mix as evenly as possible. If you end up with chunks of chocolate later that’s fine, too, because you’ll break any larger pieces at the end.
Too better replicate that iconic combination of Hershey’s chocolate with marshmallow and graham cracker we used milk chocolate for this recipe. If you only have dark chocolate or semi-sweet chips they’ll work fine here, too.
Then pop the pan into the fridge to harden. We’ve all seen what happens to popcorn and marshmallows when they are exposed to too much moisture, so don’t leave them in too long. Just 20 minutes or so should do the trick. Once you take out the pan break up snack mix pieces and toss them together to make sure there’s a little chocolate in each handful.
This is one snack mix that’s so rich and nostalgic everyone is going to want some!
S'mores Popcorn Snack Mix
25m prep time
2m cook time
- 2 sleeves graham crackers
- 1 7-oz bag caramel popcorn
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Break up graham crackers into 1” pieces, but do not crush. Line a large roasting pan or jelly roll pan with parchment or wax paper. Combine popcorn, crackers, and marshmallows and pour into the pan. Make sure they are evenly dispersed.
- In a microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate using 30-second intervals, stirring between each time. Once chips have almost completely melted take them out and stir them until fully melted.
- Quickly drizzle melted chocolate over popcorn mixture using a fork. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to cool. Remove from fridge and break up pieces. Toss to mix them up and then store at room temperature before serving.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.