Never had Jerk Chicken? Well, you’re in for a treat. ‘Jerk’ is just a style of seasoning that hails from Jamaica, but with our easy slow cooker recipe, there’s no need to travel all the way there to have it. The seasoning is traditionally either used as a dry rub or a wet marinade and is usually based on Scotch bonnet peppers and a fair bit of allspice. While we’ve subbed in red pepper flakes for the Scotch bonnet since it’s easier to find around here, our crockpot version still maintains the flavor of that delectable spicy sauce and makes for a crowd-pleasing meal any night of the week.
Jerk seasoning is generally used to flavor meat – usually chicken or pork – but we’ve gone ahead and added in some bell pepper, red onion, corn, and beans to make this dish into more of a well-rounded meal. All you need to do is pair it with some rice and dinner is done!
It’s a dump-and-go kind of meal. No need to sear the meat or brown and onions; just put all your ingredients in the slow cooker and walk away. Since it cooks for three to four hours (and most slow cookers will go ahead and keep your dish warm for you once they’re done cooking), it’s a dish you can set to cook before you leave in the morning. And who doesn’t love coming home to a hot and savory dinner that’s ready to go?
We know chicken dishes can seem like they’re a dime a dozen, but this one is juicy and nestled in a sauce that’s a little bit sweet and full of spice. Paired with the zesty veggies, it’s a savory Caribbean dish that you and your family won’t be able to get enough of!
Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
Serves 6; 10 minutes active, 3+ hours inactive
- For the chicken:
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 2 limes
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Whisk together sauce ingredients (water, honey, lime juice and zest, olive oil, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, and allspice) together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place chicken in slow cooker and add in bell peppers, red onion, black beans, and corn.
- Pour sauce over everything, then cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Optional: broil chicken for 3-5 minutes, or until browned.
Recipe adapted from Fit Slow Cooker Queen.