Slow Cooker Golden Chicken
It’s a breeze to make and it’s ridiculously flavorful!
So many times people make chicken for dinner and then end up feeling totally ambivalent towards their meal – that’s not ideal. When you put effort into making a dish at the end of a long day, you want to feel good, if not great about it, right? There’s nothing we like more than digging into something we cooked and realizing that it’s absolutely delicious, so let’s banish bland chicken dinners from the repertoire and stick with hearty, flavorful ones instead, that make us want to make them over and over again.
Here, we’ve got a tasty slow cooker “golden” chicken. Naturally, it gets its name from the golden color of the sauce, but the color isn’t what makes this dish special; it’s the flavor. We used a combination of chicken breasts and thighs (whose dark meat we can’t get enough of) and then it was just a matter of throwing together an assortment of spices to bring out the wonderful rich flavor of the dish. Trust us, this is a breeze to make – in large part thanks to our slow cooker – and it makes a filling, feel-good dish that you won’t be able to get enough of!
15 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive
- 8 assorted, boneless, skinless chicken pieces (we used breasts and thighs)
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can low-sodium cream of chicken soup
- 1 (1.2 oz.) package dry chicken gravy mix
- 1 (0.7 oz.) package dry Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/4 cup water or white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and brown seasoned chicken on all sides.
- Transfer chicken to slow cooker, then add water (or white wine) to skillet to deglaze the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until alcohol has cooked off, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken soup with deglazed pan juices, then season with Italian dressing mix and gravy mix.
- Stir in garlic, onion and chili powders, then pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to serving plates and top with gravy. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Bake At Midnite