Simple Side Dish: Broccoli with Lemon & Parmesan
If you’re looking a way to spruce up that broccoli you were intending to serve, here’s a fantastic recipe. Broccoli with lemon and Parmesan cheese turns a standard vegetable side into an outstanding dish. The lemon adds just the right amount of sweetness and acidity while the Parmesan cheese gives the dish just the right amount of saltiness. Some would prefer to roast the broccoli, but steaming it maintains the delightful crunch. After steaming, toast a little garlic and some shallots, and use the Parmesan cheese and basil leaves as a garnish. Keep reading below for this simple recipe…
Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan
(makes 6 servings)
- 12oz broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves
- Arrange the broccoli in a steamer. Steam, covered, 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set broccoli aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil, garlic, and shallots. Cook 2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant. Add the oil mixture, zest, lemon juice, and salt to the broccoli. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the broccoli mixture with the cheese and basil.
Recipe adapted fromBarefoot Contessa