Don’t skip the apples and pecans – they’re the best part!
Are you looking for an easy cold-weather dinner that’s simple and delicious? This is the one for you! This is our sheet pan potato apple pecan chicken and it’s jam-packed with flavor and super quick to throw together. We used chicken thighs here, since we think they’re a bit more flavorful than chicken breasts, but you can use whatever you have on hand, then we added apples, pecans and new potatoes to turn this into a full meal.
To those main ingredients, we made a quick sauce that we then drizzled on top of the whole thing. Olive oil, maple syrup and mustard make up the base of the sauce, then we seasoned it with thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and nutmeg. We were going for an autumnal vibe with this recipe, which we really played up with the apples, pecans, maple syrup and nutmeg, but trust us when we say it’s not too much. The sauce goes well with the apples, pecans, potatoes and chicken, and we were so pleased with the final product.
If you’re not on the sheet pan dinner train, you definitely should be. Whether you’ve got chicken thighs or chicken breasts, potatoes or sweet potatoes, or even walnuts instead of pecans, you can toss it all onto a sheet pan, pour that delicious sauce over it all, then just let it roast to perfection in the oven. Everything works together beautifully here and we absolutely loved the results – everyone else did too!
Apple Pecan Potato Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in half horizontally
- 2 gala apples, cored and sliced
- 1 pound new potatoes, sliced or quartered
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh or dried
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line a baking sheet with silicone baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Whisk together olive oil, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Place butterflied chicken thighs on baking sheet and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Toss apple slices and pecans together and place them on one side of chicken, potatoes on the other side, then pour seasoned maple syrup over everything.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (165º F on meat thermometer).
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from The Healthy Foodie