If you’re looking for a spooky but simple dessert, look no further! Our sweet Spider Trifle is easy to make and offers up some haunting Halloween flair without resorting to any tricky decorating techniques. No cake fails here – this is seriously simple enough that anyone can handle it, which means it’s a great kitchen project to work on with the kids. And with three different layers of chocolate flavor, it’s a true crowd pleaser for any monster mash!
There are just a few simple steps involved with this spidery delight. You start with a boxed chocolate cake mix and bake it according to the instructions on the package. You let that cool while you mix up some chocolate pudding with a little bit of whipped topping. Once the cake has cooled, you cube it up and use it as the base of the trifle, followed by some of the pudding mixture, and a layer of crushed Oreo cookies. You end up with six delicious layers to dig in to – soft and tender chocolate cake, a cool and airy pudding, and crunchy chocolate cookie crumbs.
The Halloween flourish is the final touch. The remaining whipped topping gets spread over the top, and then you create a spiral of chocolate syrup, starting in the center and swirling around to the outer edges. You then just run a toothpick or a knife from the center of the design to the outer edge, and repeat until you have a spooky spider web. Add a little arachnid buddy for the top and you’re reading to serve up something spooktacular!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients required on box
- 2 (3.3 ounce) boxes instant chocolate pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1 box of Oreos, crushed
- Chocolate syrup
- Spider gummy candy
- Prepare chocolate cake as directed on box in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Let cool, and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together pudding and milk. Add half of the whipped topping and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Arrange half of the cake cubes in the bottom of a trifle dish, then top with half of the crushed Oreos. Cover with half of the pudding mixture, then repeat the layers once more.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over the top. Add chocolate syrup in a spiral, starting in the middle and swirling around until you get to the outer edge. Drag a toothpick from the center to the outer edge to create a spider web design. Top with a spider gummy and enjoy your spooky dessert!