Hot summer days need a cold summer treat, and our frozen banana bomb is definitely on the menu. We all love all of the season’s fresh fruits and bananas are certainly on that list. But in these temperatures, fresh fruit can go bad fast, so when our bananas were in that phase of “still good but need to be used” we decided to whip up a dessert that would use up the fruit in a delicious way. Our freezer does all of the work here, making this the perfect summer baking project because it doesn’t require an oven!
We’ve done the chocolate dipped bananas before (if you haven’t, they’re delicious, especially with chopped nuts!) but this particular dessert has a kind of ice-cream cake quality without any ice cream. And the presentation is really one of the highlights. This is a great recipe to have the kids help with, especially when the claim to be desperately bored.
There’s nothing complicated at all here, just bananas, vanilla pudding mix (for great flavor and texture), prepared whipped topping from the store, and chocolate. This is probably one of our favorite parts: drizzling the chocolate into the bowl. When the plastic wrap is peeled away, the chocolate adorns the top of this frozen banana bomb, giving it a little touch of rustic elegance.
A summer birthday party or backyard barbecue is the perfect place to serve up a frozen banana bomb. The kids were proud to serve up their “baking” project, and we were happy that our bananas didn’t go to waste. Sure we could have used them to make banana bread, but why turn on the oven when you can use ripe bananas for an amazing frozen treat. Our frozen banana bomb is a great way to cool down after a long, hot summer day.
Frozen Banana Bomb
15 minutes active, 3+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 oz semi sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 (5 oz) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (8 oz) tub whipped cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- Line a large bowl with plastic wrap. Drizzle melted chocolate into bowl in a decorative pattern. Place bowl in refrigerator to allow chocolate to set.
- Mash bananas in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Mix milk, vanilla pudding mix, and cream cheese until smooth. Add in mashed bananas and mix again until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and stir until well combined. Remove chocolate bowl from refrigerator. Transfer banana mixture to chocolate bowl. Freeze until firm, 2-3 hours at least.
- Remove bowl from freezer and place upside down on a plate or serving platter. Gently remove plastic wrap. Sit at room temperature for 5 minutes prior to slicing. Enjoy!