Great flavor doesn’t get any easier than this.
This minimal-fuss dinner makes a big pot of pasta with a unique flavor that’s reminiscent of eggplant parmesan but with about a third of the work. It’s a must-try recipe for people who love eggplant!
For this recipe we’re using jarred marinara sauce, but if you prefer to make your own you can find our classic marinara sauce recipe right here.
Another time-saving step I like is to use Japanese eggplants, which are shaped more like cucumbers and are far easier to cut than larger European eggplants. There’s no need to salt them before they bake either.
There’s very little you need to do to bring out the true flavor of the eggplant for this recipe aside from roasting. Something magical happens in the oven and the pieces of eggplant become tender and intense in flavor with only some olive oil, salt, and pepper.
The smokey flavor of the roasted eggplant comes through in every bite, brightened with the taste of the fresh herbs and the piquant sauce dotted with capers.
Stir in some long noodles (I used mafaldine for these photos) and you’ve got a meal ready with very little “hands on” time.
The flavors and textures are a match made in heaven that only gets better when you sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top. But, I also think that this dish would be incredible served with a spoonful of ricotta cheese on top instead. Either way, it’s a super tasty pasta dinner that doesn’t take a lot of time or attention to make.
Roasted Eggplant Pasta
15m prep time
55m cook time
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs eggplant
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 (34 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 lb long pasta noodles: spaghetti, fettuccine, or mafaldine
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Cut eggplant into 1” cubes. Toss with 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Bring pasta to boil in large pot and cook until al dente texture. Drain and set aside.
- In stockpot bring heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, salt ad pepper and cook for 2 minutes, Add marinara sauce and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low and add in basil, parsley, capers, eggplant, and noodles. Stir to make sure each noodle is covered in sauce. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve garnish with basil and parmesan.
Recipe adapted from A Couple Cooks.