These refreshing freezer treats hit the spot every time!
Orange creamsicles are a childhood favorite, and we certainly have fond memories of cooling down with them on long summer days. These no-bake creamsicle bars are the grownup version of the classic ice cream treat – a little more elegant, but still bursting with bright flavor and cool, creamy texture.
Fresh orange juice and zest gives these bars bright, tangy flavor, which is balanced out by the light and fluffy cream filling. These cool treats are great to make any time of year, but are especially great in the warmer months, since they don’t require any baking – the freezer does all the work! We whip these up for any backyard get together and they go fast; but don’t take our word for it, give them a try and see for yourself!
Orange Creamsicle Freezer Bars
Serves 8-12; 30 minutes active; 3 hours inactive
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 12-15 crackers)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Line a 13x9-inch baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and lightly grease with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and graham cracker crumbs, then stir in melted butter and mix until graham crackers have the consistency of damp sand.
- Firmly press crumb mixture into the bottom of greased baking dish, making sure to evenly spread it out into the corners and edges of dish. Place pan in freezer and chill while making filling.
- In a large bowl or mixer, add cream cheese, condensed milk, and sugar and beat until smooth and combined.
- Stir in orange juice, zest and extract, and mix until just combined.
- In a separate, pre-chilled mixing bowl, add heavy cream and whip with electric mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Use a spatula to very gently fold whipped cream into orange mixture. Do not overmix! Once whipped cream is just folded in, remove crust from freezer and evenly pour filling on top.
- Return to freezer, and freeze until mixture is chilled and set, about 3 hours.
- Remove from freezer, slice with a clean, hot knife, and serve with whipped cream and orange zest.