Growing up, we always had French bread pizzas in the freezer. They were great as a quick dinner or an afternoon snack when we were kids. And they were easy because all of the preparation was done in advance! All you had to do when you were hungry was bake them into a warm and gooey pizza. And the serving size is perfect if you want a light meal or if you’re famished!
You can make them and bake them right away or make several and freeze them for weekday munching. And you can top them with whatever you like, whether it be meat or vegetables for a healthy treat. Our favorite toppings are salami, red bell pepper, and corn, all of which keep well in the freezer. Unleash the power of this handy pizza in your home!
Flavorful French Bread Pizzas
- 2 loaves of French bread
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped salami
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 white onion
- 1 14 ounce can of whole kernel corn
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Slice bread in half along its length so that you have a long and flat top and bottom piece for each loaf.
- Slice each piece in half again, this time short ways so that you have eight flat pieces.
- Cover the top (what was the inside of the loaf) of each piece with olive oil.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place your pieces of bread on top, olive oil side up.
- Toast bread for 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and let cool.
- Spread pizza sauce on top of each piece of French bread.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup or desired amount of cheese on top of your sauce.
- Dice your red peppers and sprinkle them on top of the cheese.
- Cut your white onion into long pieces and add the to your pizza.
- Add salami and corn on top of your cheese.
- Bake your pizzas for 10 minutes or until the bread begins to brown.
Note: If you plan on freezing them, wrap pizzas in plastic wrap instead of baking them. To reheat them, bake for 15-20 minutes at 425° F or until they bread begins to brown.
14. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Recipe adapted from The Comfort of Cooking