Ingredient #5 is the best part – don’t skip ’em!
Please tell us you love P.F. Chang’s as much as we do. It’s so good, right?? There’s something about the ambience and the addictively delicious dishes that get us every time, so it’s always a joy to go. However, as much as we might like to go all the time and order everything on the menu, that would get pricey really quickly, so we decided to figure out a way to make one of our go-to P.F. Chang’s dishes in the comfort of our own home. Not only does it taste AMAZING, but we made it at a fraction of the cost of the original dish and we now know exactly what we’re going to be make at least once a week from here on out; it’s just that good!
So which classic dish did we make? The chicken lettuce wraps, of course! The perfectly seasoned chicken – those crunchy water chestnuts are a game changer! – and the refreshing butter lettuce cups (which are the perfect vehicle for getting all that flavor into your mouth) combine to make such a yummy dish, and it was great to find out that it’s actually super easy to make at home! Start with some ground chicken, along with some ingredients from the international aisle in your grocery store, and then you’re ready to get cooking. A quick sauté to get everything cooked and all the flavors blended together, then you’re ready to start scooping your chicken into your lettuce wraps. Easy-peasy!
We love this dish for how amazing it tastes and how easy it is to make, plus, it’s affordable and healthy; that’s a four-way tie in terms of greatness, if you ask us! Whether you just want to recreate the fun and flavor of P.F. Chang’s at home, or you want to have a yummy meal to look forward to throughout the week, this is definitely the way to go. Enjoy!
Chicken Lettuce wraps
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained and finely diced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 head butter lettuce, rinsed and spun dry
- Heat oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned on all sides. 5-7 minutes.
- Drain fat, then add onions and cook until translucent. 4-5 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper, then add garlic and ginger and cook for another 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sriracha and red pepper flakes, if using, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, giving flavors a chance to blend.
- Mix in diced water chestnuts and green onions, then taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve with butter lettuce, scooping chicken mixture into lettuce “bowls.” Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious