A set-it-and-forget-it casserole made up of all your favorites.
Some people like to wake up before the sun has even risen and make stacks and stacks of pancakes and heaps of crispy bacon and mounds of fluffy scrambled eggs. That is not me. I like to stay in my warm and cozy bed as long as possible but still find a way to feed a delicious morning feast to those I love. But that’s where the glory of the slow cooker comes in – this Breakfast Casserole comes together (almost entirely) in your crockpot and cooks overnight so you can wake up to a delicious breakfast of potatoes, sausage, eggs, and more with practically no effort at all.
The only thing you need your stovetop for here is to brown the sausage – everything else happens thanks to the magic of the slow cooker. You can start it the night before and cook it on low for about eight hours or if you’re looking for a more leisurely brunch option you can start it in the morning and cook it on high for two hours.
Just layer some frozen diced potatoes in your slow cooker and top them with some chopped onion and bell pepper, followed by that cooked breakfast sausage and a generous helping of shredded cheddar cheese. You don’t need to stir anything – just layer it all up and then whisk together a dozen eggs with some half-and-half and pour it over the entire thing. (Yes, a dozen – this feeds a whole crowd!)
When you lift the lid, you get an all-in-one breakfast that has all of your favorites with none of the fuss. Feed your family, feed your friends, or make-ahead a week’s worth of breakfasts for yourself… no matter what, it’s a win.
Overnight Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
15m prep time
8h cook time
- 1 lb bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 1 lb bag frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 eggs
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage until fully cooked, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grease inside of slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Arrange frozen hash browns in the slow cooker, followed by the onions, bell peppers, cooked sausage, and cheddar cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and half-and-half and season with salt and pepper. Pour over ingredients in slow cooker, but do not stir.
- Cover and cook until eggs are set, 6-8 hours on low or 2 hours on high.
- Garnish with green onions, if desired, and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from House of Yumm.