Who out there is looking for another go-to recipe with that ideal trifecta of qualities – easy, quick, and delicious? I expect that there was a unanimous showing of hands because that reliable, tasty back pocket recipe is something we all need. This Creamy Broccoli Pasta is all of those things. It’s a one-pot wonder with a creamy (but totally approachable) sauce that comes together lickety-split but tastes amazing. In other words, a guaranteed family favorite.
It’s the type of creamy, cheesy pasta dish that kids love, but Mom and Dad love this one too because it packs in some broccoli and leaves you with just one dish to wash after dinner. See, here, the pasta cooks right in the sauce so you don’t have to boil anything separately. It’s truly one-pot.
Just cook some garlic in a bit of butter and then add in some broth, cream, onion powder, and parsley before you stir in the shells and bring everything to a boil. After about five minutes, the shells will start to soften and you can stir in some broccoli so everything finishes cooking at the same time.
Once the broccoli is tender, you stir in some Parmesan which binds everything together in creamy, cheesy goodness. It’s not as cheesy as a mac and cheese but it’s just as comforting (and tastes just as familiar).
One-Pot Creamy Broccoli Pasta
5m prep time
15m cook time
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 lb medium pasta shells
- 3 cups broccoli, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, cream, onion powder, and parsley.
- Add pasta and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover partially and let cook 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to pan.
- Add broccoli and continue cooking until pasta is al dente, 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let rest a few minutes before stirring once more and serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Cozy Cook.