We’ve all had chicken sandwiches before, but unless you’re from Ohio – or happen to visit there a lot – you probably haven’t had them quite like this. See, this isn’t just any chicken sandwich, this is an Ohio Shredded Chicken Sandwich and it’s about so much more than just the chicken. It’s the type of food you find at both ballparks and potlucks, and while it’s economical and easy to make, it’s the signature combination of ingredients that makes it so classic. (And tasty!)
Usually, when you have a shredded chicken sandwich, it’s just shredded chicken and some sauce, but that’s not the case here. Ohio Chicken Sandwiches certainly involve shredded chicken, but they also always include either stuffing or crushed Ritz crackers, or both. (Ours uses both because sometimes more is better.) There’s also cream of chicken soup in there, which makes for an oh-so-creamy but pretty messy sandwich. Think sloppy joe, but in carb-kissed, creamy, chicken form.
While you can make these as simple as stirring together a can of cooked chicken with the other ingredients on the stovetop, our version uses the slow cooker to cook chicken breasts until they’re tender and falling apart. That juicy meat is bulked up by seasoned stuffing mix, buttery cracker crumbs, and savory chicken soup. As you can probably imagine, it’s a comforting and easy-to-love flavor profile, which is exactly why it’s become an enduring Ohioan classic.
Ohio Shredded Chicken Sandwiches
15m prep time
3h cook time
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken flavored stuffing mix
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 (10 oz each) cans cream of chicken soup
- Chicken broth or water, as needed
- Hamburger buns, for serving
- Place chicken breasts in the insert of a slow cooker. Pour soup over the top.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is easily shredded with two forks, 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken, then stir in stuffing mix and crushed Ritz crackers. Cover and cook until stuffing and crumbs are soft, about 30 minutes.
- If needed, thin mixture out with chicken broth.
- Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy!