On paper, the Monte Cristo is a sandwich that makes very little sense. Ham, turkey, swiss – okay that all seems normal… and then powdered sugar? And jam for dipping? What on earth! But, in reality, when you bite into one it is somehow absolutely delicious and it all makes sense. It’s like the embodiment of what sweet and salty combos should be. And here our Monte Cristo Sliders let you serve up that combo to a whole crew of people with no trouble at all. I love a party slider and I especially love these. You and your guests will too – it’s inevitable!
What makes party sliders so easy and convenient is that they rely on a package of Hawaiian rolls for the bread. You simply slice the rolls in half but leave the rolls attached, and place the bottom section in your baking dish as your base. Then, you layer up your ingredients and bake everything at once, so you have easy prep and pull-apart sandwiches for as many as twelve people. It’s almost too easy.
In this case, you’re layering those rolls with the aforementioned ham, turkey, and swiss cheese, but then also brushing the tops of the rolls with a mixture of butter, Dijon mustard, and egg. And then you bake. It’s a fairly classic true-to-the-original combo, it’s just the presentation that’s a little different.
Everything gets warm and delicious in the oven, and all that’s left to do is to top them with a little powdered sugar and score them for easier serving. Oh, and set out a bowl of raspberry jam.
Now, I know jam and powdered sugar seem very odd companions to a meat and cheese sandwich, but if you haven’t tried it before, please give it a chance. It works. It works so very well, and every single person you serve these to will agree.
Monte Cristo Sliders
10m prep time
25m cook time
- 12 Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 1/2 lb sliced ham
- 1/2 lb sliced turkey
- 1/2 lb sliced Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Powdered sugar, for topping
- Raspberry jam, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8x11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Without separating the rolls, slice in half horizontally. Place bottom half of attached rolls in baking dish.
- Layer with half of the cheese, the ham, the turkey, then the remaining cheese. Place top half of rolls on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, egg, and Dijon mustard until well combined. Brush over top of rolls.
- Cover loosely with foil, using toothpicks to lift foil if needed and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more.
- Let cool slightly, then score sliders with a sharp knife to separate for easy serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry jam for dipping. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Yellow Bliss Road.