Sweet, savory, and perfectly spiced.
The flavors of fresh mango go so well with so many different kinds of ingredients. You can make it super sweet or eat these fruits with savory or spicy flavors for a different kick. This Thai-inspired mango barley salad has so many beautiful tastes together in one healthy side dish.
The center of this recipe is of course fresh mangoes- without them this salad would be quite flat. To compliment the fruity flavor some green pepper, red onion, and fresh cilantro leaves add complexity to this dish. They also add a ton of color for a festive-looking side.
The flavors are united with a sweet and sour dressing of honey, vinegar, mustard, and cumin. It’s just a little of a lot of different flavors which somehow perfectly harmonizes with the grains, the mango, and the veggies.
Barley isn’t the most popular grain anymore and my local grocery didn’t even have it. Instead I used farro for this recipe as the two are very similar in grain size, bite, and appearance. If you can find quick cooking barley then you can shave off a good 10 minutes of the prep time for this lovely, fresh salad.
Aside from making the barley or farro, there’s no cooking to this recipe. Instead, you should give the flavors time in the refrigerator to come together before serving. I suggest tasting before serving to make sure the salt level is good as the grains really seem to absorb a lot of the salt in the fridge.
This is the perfect salad for large gatherings, but it’s also ideal for a light supper with just some chicken or beef to go with. If you’ve never had the pleasure of tasting sweet and savory mango dishes this one is a great way to introduce yourself!
Mango Barley Salad
55m prep time
20m cook time
- 1 cup barley or farro
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Prepare barley to package directions. Set aside.
- While barley is cooking whisk together lime juice, lime zest, honey, salt, black pepper, and cumin into olive oil.
- Combine barley with vegetables and mango then toss with dressing to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving for flavors to combine.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.