While too much of this would cause a serious problem for everything in our wardrobe, this potato casserole is always a smash!!!
When it comes to large dinners, this is our go-to side dish that steals the show every time. You might ask how it’s different than regular mashed potatoes, and to that, we’d just say it’s like all of your favorite varieties of mashed potatoes smashed together and baked into creamy, cheesy goodness.
If you’re watching your waistline, this dish might not exactly be your best friend…but you’ll want it to be; it’s packed with bacon, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and a ton of other yummy things, and the result is a flavor explosion that will make you wish your whole plate was full of potatoes instead of those other dishes. Check it out and see for yourselves – this stuff is amazing!
Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 10-12 slices bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with 1-2 inches of cold water. Bring up to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove pot from heat, drain potatoes and return to empty pot. Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Using a potato masher, smash potatoes to desired consistency and season with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix in cream cheese, sour cream, milk, parmesan cheese, butter and 1 cup cheddar cheese, then transfer to a 9×13-inch baking dish (or smaller ramekins for individual mash casseroles).
- Sprinkle bacon and remaining cheddar cheese over the top and place in oven; bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.