Look, all kinds of Chex Mix are great… Or at least all the kinds I’ve had are. So crunchy! So flavorful! But then there’s this whole other world of what you can do with chex cereal where it’s not just crunchy, it’s also sweet (and still so snackable). You might know that variety as Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies and that’s just what we have for you here, except in this case, you also get the signature refreshing flavor of lemonade. Sweet and crunchy chex mix with a citrus zing? Yes, please!
I seriously cannot get enough of this stuff. It’s sweet (but not in an overpowering way) and crunchy in that way that makes it hard to walk away from, but it also has a refreshing light and bright flavor, just like lemonade. It’s like a little snack of sunshine!
And it’s also soooo easy to make. You just need a big bowl, your microwave, and a handful of ingredients – it really only takes a couple of minutes to throw together. You melt white chocolate chips with some butter and flavor it with lemon zest and lemon juice before tossing the chex cereal in the mixture.
Once that cereal is totally coated in the moist mixture for maximum sticking power, you toss it in powdered sugar so every nook and cranny is dusted with a little sweetness. Every bite has a satisfying crunch and that lovely sweet and tart combo that you only get from lemonade… until now, that is!
Lemonade Puppy Chow
10m prep time
- 9 cups Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl, add white chocolate chips, butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Microwave for 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30 second intervals until melted, stirring in between.
- Pour mixture over cereal and stir gently until completely coated.
- Transfer to a large ziplock bag, add powdered sugar and salt and shake well until totally coated. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Somewhat Simple.