How you prep the butter is important, but so easy….
You know we love all lemon desserts, and if they happen to be super easy to make, that’s even better! This lemon cream cheese dump cake basically checks all of our boxes. Fresh, citrusy flavor? Check. Cream cheese? Double check. Five ingredients or less that we can toss together and get in the oven in under 10 minutes. TRIPLE CHECK. There’s no wrong time for this dessert, so what are you waiting for? Raid your pantry and fridge and let’s get cooking.
So while these four ingredients basically just get added to your baking dish, there is a sort of finesse in regards to how they get added. Spread your lemon pie filling in the bottom of your dish, then top with half of your box cake mix. Next comes the interesting part; you’re going to want to cube your cream cheese and thinly slice your butter, so you get even coverage across your cake mix.
Once your pie filling is in, spread your cream cheese cubes evenly across the surface, then top with your remaining cake mix. After that, you take your thinly sliced butter and place that on top of the cake mix, making an effort to try and make a complete layer that covers most, if not all of the top cake mix.
Your baking dish then goes into the oven and the cake bakes by having the melted butter seep down into the dry cake mix, keeping things moist and making everything delicious. Once it’s finished baking, you’ve got a sweet, tangy dessert that’s got pockets of cream cheese to go along with each bite of lemon goodness. If you’ve made any dump cakes before, you’ll know that you just have to trust in the magic of the process, ‘cause you better believe this stuff is really, ridiculously good!
Lemon Cream Cheese Dump Cake
Serves 8-10; 1 hour
- 1 (16 oz.) can lemon pie filling
- 1 (15 oz.) package yellow cake mix
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a square baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Pour lemon pie filling into the bottom of greased baking dish, making sure to spread it into the corners.
- Top with 1/2 cake mix, place cubed cream cheese evenly on top, then sprinkle remaining cake mix.
- Take butter pats (as thinly sliced as possible) and place them in a single layer on top of the cake mix, trying to cover as much of the surface of the cake as possible.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15-20 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Sparkles to Sprinkles