Lemon Basil Broccolini and Rice
You’d never guess the shortcut we used…
Sometimes you just want a simple, tasty meal that doesn’t involve a lot of fuss. This lemon basil broccolini and rice recipe is just that: plain good food. This easy meal is healthy, has tons of flavor, and comes together in about 25 minutes. You can’t ask for a better combination!
To begin this recipe make your rice according to the package directions. You can use any type of rice you like here, or even couscous, barley, or quinoa. I also think this would be great with some short pasta, too.
Then you want to sear your broccolini a bit in oil before adding the other ingredients. Some people call broccolini baby broccoli but it’s actually a different species. The stems are much longer, sweeter, and more tender than the stems of broccoli, so don’t throw away the stalks when chopping. It’s not like those tough broccoli stems at all.
There’s quite a bit of fresh basil in this dish, which combines perfectly with the other ingredients.
To make the sauce simply throw green onions, garlic, broth, basil, and lemon juice into your blender or food processor. Then add this to the broccolini once it’s done searing. You’ll need to let the broth cook down a bit before adding the rice. Then just toss it all together.
If you like you can add some grated parmesan cheese on top to serve.
I love this quick, tasty, healthy meal for a busy night. It’s such a light and bright dinner!
Lemon Basil Broccolini & Rice
15m prep time
25m cook time
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup packed fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare rice to package directions. While rice is cooking add green onions, garlic, broth, basil, and lemon juice to blender. Pulse until puréed.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add broccolini to pan and cook 5-7 minutes or until softened, turning until both sides have color. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add purée to pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium-high or until liquid is reduced.
- Add rice to pan and toss to fully combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve piping hot. Garnish with parmesan cheese if desired (optional).
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food.