Serve these beauties for any meal of the day.
If there’s anything better than potatoes it would have to be baby potatoes. These tender, cute little spuds are perfect for making a big pan of potatoes because their diminutive size means that they get crispy on almost all their surface area. In addition to that lovely crispy exterior, these Italian potatoes also get a lively note from the spices and garlic you add to the pan before baking.
In short, these potatoes turn out as the perfect savory side to just about any type of meal and can be served at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
To begin with cut your baby Yukon gold potatoes in half. There’s no need to skin them as their tenderness means you won’t even notice the skins. Then sauté them in olive oil until they start to get crisp.
After that move the potatoes to the edges of the pan to create a hot spot in the middle. This is where you put in some garlic, Italian seasoning, and paprika. I like to use the smoked paprika as it adds a lot more depth.
Once the garlic is cooked you can serve just like this, which is great if you want a dairy-free option. But, to dial up the Italian flavor sprinkle parmesan cheese over the potatoes and then bake them for a little while for a crusty, salty dish that has even more flavor.
As a final step sprinkle a bit of parsley and a bit more cheese on top and serve these Italian-inspired potatoes alongside your favorite proteins.
They go well with steak, but they’re also great with scrambled eggs. You really can’t serve these at the wrong time- they’re so versatile.
Makes 4 servings
10m prep time
26m cook time
- 1 lb baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat a cast iron (or oven-safe) skillet over medium burner. Add olive oil and potatoes. Cook until they are crispy on the outside, about 5-10 minutes. Make a space in the center of pan and add to that garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Transfer pan to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are fork tender. Sprinkle with parsley and a little extra parmesan just before serving.
Recipe adapted from Rasa Malaysia.