When it comes to comfort food, there’s nothing that fits the bill quite like a classic retro ground beef and noodle casserole and that’s just what Husband’s Delight Casserole is. It’s simple fare that’s big on comfort but won’t hurt your budget – egg noodles paired with ground beef and tomato sauce, a creamy filling, and a topping of melty cheddar. It’s the type of easy bake that moms everywhere have turned to for decades when they need a simple dinner that delights the whole family (not just the husband) and I can promise you it’s as delicious today as it was a few years back.
This casserole is rather similar to Martha’s Company Casserole, which I grew up on and will love forever. Husband’s Delight differs a bit in that it incorporates onion, skips the cottage cheese, and has a different method of layering, but it has the same cheesy-creamy-beefy-noodle thing going on that’s just so easy to love.
There are some foods that evoke the memories and comfort of childhood with just one bite and, at least for me, this is one of them. It’s yummy stuff even if you don’t have a personal connection to it – you just can’t go wrong with tender noodles, beefy marinara, and cheese that are all baked together. It’s a little bit retro, a lot delicious, and a true crowd-pleaser – you could say it’s a total delight!
Husband's Delight Casserole
15m prep time
25m cook time
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef. Season with garlic salt. Drain fat, if needed. Stir in marinara sauce and let simmer 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, cream cheese, and onion and mix well.
- In a 9x13-inch baking dish, arrange half of the noodles, followed by the meat mixture, followed by the sour cream mixture, and finally by the remaining noodles.
- Top with cheese and bake 25 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cooking with Libby.