Roast beef is sort of like our Christmas/New Year’s equivalent to a turkey dinner. The family makes it together, it goes along with roast potatoes, horseradish and plum pudding, and it brings everyone closer. Bonus: it’s super easy to roast the vegetables along with the meat, so you get your protein and veggies all in one. All the flavors mingle together for a wonderful, complete meal! It doesn’t have to be made for a holiday meal, but it’s perfect in the wintertime when you want something a little more hearty!
Classic Roast Beef
- 3 pounds beef roast (topside)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme, optional
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, optional
- 3 cups beef stock, optional
- Use butcher’s twine to wrap around beef roast. This ensures roast stays a uniform size and doesn’t expand too much while roasting.
- Whisk together salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders in a small bowl.
- Rub seasoning mixture into beef roast, making sure to coat all sides.
- Optional: wrap beef in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or up to 24 hours before roasting.
- Remove beef from fridge 1-2 hours before roasting, so that it can fully come to room temperature, which is better for an even roast.
- Preheat oven to 325º F and place a roasting rack inside a baking sheet or roasting pan.
- Heat canola oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high until shimmering.
- Add seasoned beef roast and sear on all sides until browned. 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer beef to roasting rack and place in oven. Roast for 90-120 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 135-140.
- Remove from oven and let rest 20-30 minutes, covered with aluminum foil.
- Optional: transfer roasting pan to stovetop and heat pan drippings over medium heat. Whisk in cornstarch to thicken, then slowly whisk in beef broth to form a gravy.
- Slice beef thinly and serve with your preference of side dishes and gravy, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Jamie OliverSKM: below-content placeholder