Are you craving a sweet treat and want to mix it up from the usual cookies or cakes? I have just the recipe for you! This easy Hedgehog Slice is the perfect combination of rich, crunchy, and chocolatey. It’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth (and have you going back for another piece!). If you aren’t familiar with how slices are made, it’s really quite simple. They’re typically no-bake desserts, but this one does require a quick step on the stovetop. Let’s get into how it’s made!
The first ingredient listed is digestive biscuits which might have some of you scratching your head. The name is more commonly used in Europe, but they’re essentially a slightly sweet cracker or cookie. I used the Mexican cookie brand Marias as that’s what was available at my grocery store, but graham crackers will also work just fine.
The cookies are broken up into small pieces and mixed with coconut, walnuts, and a bit of cinnamon. A melted sauce of butter, condensed milk, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips is poured in to form the base of the slice. Press the mixture into a lined baking dish, then top it all off with a layer of melted chocolate.
Now comes the hard part… waiting for it to set. This can be sped up in the fridge, but you’ll want to give the slice a good hour or so before cutting into it. I promise it’s worth the wait. Give this Hedgehog Slice a try for your next special occasion and it’s sure to be a hit!
15m prep time
1 cook time
- 1 (9 oz) package digestive biscuits (like Marias)
- ¾ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup butter
- 3 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Fit parchment paper to an 8x8-inch baking dish, then set aside.
- Add biscuits to a large bowl and break into small pieces. Mix in coconut, walnuts, and cinnamon (if using).
- In a small saucepan, add milk, butter, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the large bowl and stir contents together until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish and use your hands or a greased spatula to press down into an even layer.
- For topping: Microwave chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until fully melted. Mix in oil then pour over the slice and spread to edges.
- Allow slice to cool in the fridge until set, about 1 hour, before cutting.
Recipe adapted from Justsotasty.com