Game Day Recipe: Nachos with Chili con Carne
When you invite the crew over to watch the game, they’re probably hungry for more than an exciting afternoon of football. Make sure their appetite is fully satisfied with a hearty helping of these nachos, piled high with chili con carne and melted cheese. Feel free to also top these with your favorite accompaniments sour cream, guacamole, all that good stuff before digging in!
Nachos with Chili con Carne
(serves about 4 people)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1-1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 3 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese (or your preferred cheese)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and saute the onions and peppers for 5-7 minutes, until it is tender and translucent. Then, add the garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef to the pot and brown well. Once the beef is thoroughly browned, add the tomatoes, tomato puree, kidney beans, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Let everything simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the tortilla chips in the bottom of a lightly greased rectangular casserole dish, then top with the chili and cheese.
- Put the nachos under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, watching carefully to make sure the cheese melts but doesn’t burn, Take the nachos out of the oven once the cheese is melted.
Recipe adapted from Glorious Food