We love all things apple in the fall, apple cider, applesauce, and of course practically anything baked with apples. If there’s one way to sink our teeth into the fall season it’s with this amazing buttermilk apple loaf cake. There’s really something special about this moist cake, especially the subtle sweetness that we expect from baking with one of our favorite fruits, apples. Our buttermilk apple cake loaf is perfect for a weekend brunch, for a book club, or to send off as a care package or a welcome to a new neighbor.
Apples and cinnamon are an essential combination when it comes to creating a perfect fall flavor. The sweetness of the apple and the warm spice from the cinnamon just ooze of comfort and will make our kitchen smell absolutely amazing – we can’t think of a better aromatherapy to help us feel warm and relaxed. While these are important ingredients in the recipe, it’s the buttermilk that makes a big difference, adding the right balance of moisture to the cake, so when it comes out of the oven and cools, the cake is able to stay perfectly moist and delicious. We could skip the frosting here, but why?! A nice drizzle of a simple vanilla sugar frosting is just that little bit of added sweetness and flair.
Fall is absolutely one of our favorite seasons for baking and naturally, apples are often a big part of our seasonal recipes. Our buttermilk apple cake loaf is one we love to share and of course, we love to eat it ourselves! A slice of this with a cup of coffee or packed in a lunch as a snack is so satisfying. When we think about all of the ways to bring fall into our kitchens, apples are definitely on the list. What better way to celebrate the season than with a slice of this moist and delicious buttermilk apple cake loaf! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Frosted Buttermilk Apple Cake Loaf
Serves 8-12 1 hour 30 minutes, + cooling time
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup buttermilk + 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- ½ stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 8x4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in an large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until pale in color and just fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and egg and beat until well mixed. Add ⅓ flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add ½ buttermilk and beat until incorporated. Add ⅓ of flour mixture and remaining buttermilk, slowly mixing until combined. Beat in last ⅓ of flour mixture until batter is mixed. Gently fold in diced apples until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into middle of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool directly in pan for 10 minutes then carefully remove loaf from pan to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Once cake has completely cooled, mix powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and slowly add buttermilk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Drizzle frosting over cooled cake. Slice to serve.
Recipe adapted from Pinch My Salt