Clafoutis is a traditional French dessert comprised of a crêpe-like batter covering perfectly ripe cherries (or pears, blackberries or plums). This is a dessert that’s tastes wonderful without being too sweet, and looks and tastes like much more effort went into it than really did. All you need is a blender and a baking dish (hello, easy baking!) and you’re good to go!
- 3 cups black cherries, pitted
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry-flavored brandy), optional
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- butter or non-stick spray, for greasing
- Preheat oven to 375º F and grease your baking dish.
- In a blender, mix together your milk, 1/4 cup sugar, kirsch, vanilla, almond extract, eggs and salt.
- Add flour and blend for another minute until smooth.
- Cover the bottom of baking dish with a layer of batter. Add a layer of cherries and sprinkle the top of them with remaining sugar, then cover with the rest of the batter.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until golden crust has formed at the bottom and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Optional: dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Recipe adapted from Saveur