There are cakes that are sweet and sky-high and carefully coated in scalloped buttercream that pairs perfectly with the tender crumb beneath. And then there are cakes that are so beautiful in their simplicity that they don’t need any frosting at all. This lovely little apple and cranberry cake is just that kind of cake. It’s moist but not dense, and sweet without being cloying, all backed by the subtle tartness of fresh cranberries. It’s a simple, easy one-bowl cake that’s festive enough for the holidays but right at home any time of year. We love it for its elegant simplicity, but mostly because it’s so very tasty!
It’s based on a French yogurt cake, which is a cake that is kind of genius. You can use the small yogurt tub to measure out the ingredients – one tub of oil, two tubs full of sugar, three of flour – and you mix it all up in one bowl. You can use any fruit or flavor you like, but this particular combination is one of our favorites.
It’s quick and easy enough to make every day (if you felt so inclined), and while it doesn’t necessarily need it, a dusting of powdered sugar adds a nice little extra touch of sweetness. It’s a cake we’ve made again and again in countless combinations. We hope you’ll do the same!
Apple Cranberry Cake
Serves 8-10; 1 hour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup plain whole yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add sugar and stir to combine. Whisk in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Set aside 1/4 cup each of the apples and cranberries and arrange the rest in the bottom of the cake pan. Pour batter over the top and top with remaining apples and cranberries. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top is golden brown, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!