This canape dish is a beautiful recipe for entertaining because of its amazing array of colors and flavors. Smoked salmon and cream cheese is a classic combination that creates the perfect vehicle for this appetizer. Already full of color, the addition of beets and red onion take this recipe up a notch and make it a delight to eat. Beets can be a bit of a polarizing ingredient because you find people either absolutely love them or find them off putting (we love them!), but if you’re at all a proponent of beets and their lovely flavor and color, you’ll go crazy for these crackers!
Salmon And Beet Crackers
Yields approx. 2 dozen
- 20-24 wholegrain crackers
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
- 6-8 oz. smoked salmon, finely sliced
- 2-3 peeled and cooked beets
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- Grate peeled and cooked beets into a medium bowl, then set aside.
- Lay crackers out on a flat surface and spoon cream cheese into a piping bag fitted with a star tip. (Or use a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off.)
- Pipe a small amount of cream cheese onto each of your crackers. Careful not to add too much or crackers will be overloaded.
- Gently press grated beets into the cream cheese so it adheres and doesn’t fall off.
- Top beets with 1-2 pieces of very thinly sliced salmon, then garnish with a slice of red onion and a caper.
- Continue with remaining crackers, then transfer to a serving platter and chill or serve immediately.