Tarts and pies were once really common for dinner, but now we tend to think of them as sweet offerings. But, a savory tart can be just the ticket for a dinner or lunch. And, quiche can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. So, when we saw this easy zucchini tart, which has an egg base, we knew it would perfect for any meal of the day.
You’ll need 3 zucchini for this recipe (about 4 cups) thinly sliced. The best method for this is to use a mandoline, being careful of your fingers, but you can also slice the zucchini by hand- just make sure they are thin slices.
Next you sauté the zucchini in butter along with half an onion (diced) and the herbs. Mix this with 2 eggs and some mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you like) to make the filling.
After that comes the fun part. You take a can of crescent rolls and lay each triangle out in the bottom of the pie pan, skinny side towards the middle. Then press the dough together to make a quick and easy pie crust. Then spread out some dijon mustard on the pie crust before pouring in the filling. This last step gives the tart a really nice flavor and is such a nice combination with the zucchini. Then pour the filling on over the mustard.
You want to bake this until the top is just beginning to brown. And, it’s so easy to make your own. If you love dill or parmesan or even feta, add them in. You could also use pepper jack cheese instead for a tart that is subtly spicier.
Serve this tart with a salad or a side of green beans for a lovely dinner. Or with fresh fruit for a nice brunch. This tart is so easy and so delicious that you pretty much can’t go wrong with this staple dish.
Easy Zucchini Tart
30m prep time
25m cook time
Vegetarian diet suitable
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 8-oz package shredded shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
- 1 tube crescent rolls
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Thinly slice zucchini by hand or use a mandoline for ultra-thin slices.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Sauté zucchini along with onions, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine zucchini with mozzarella cheese and eggs.
- Remove crescent rolls from can. Unwrap each one and arrange on the bottom of a 10-inch pie plate to form a bottom crust. Press the dough up the sides of the baking dish and make sure it’s even on all sides.
- Spread mustard across the bottom of tart crust.
- Pour filling into pie pan and bake for 18-22 minutes or until tart is no longer jiggly and top is beginning to brown.
Recipe adapted from Pilsbury.