Tacos are perhaps one of the best meals out there for satisfying anyone. They’re easily customizable and can be made in any number of ways with any number of flavors. We were in the mood recently for a good chicken taco, and we wanted to make it completely avoiding any pre-made taco spices or sauces.
Naturally for this chicken we turned to the grill. Grilling imparts such a distinctive flavor that is nearly impossible to replace, and it works so well with tacos. For our meat, we chose skinless, boneless thighs. The fattier cut of chicken definitely meant a more tender, juicier chicken. A little lime kept the chicken tasting light. For spices, we used a combination of salt, pepper, cumin, and a few surprise ingredients like brown sugar and cinnamon that really elevated the tacos to being something special. Keep reading below for this fantastic recipe…
Chicken Tacos from the Grill
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges, keeping the root intact
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed, for serving
- Fixings as desired
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Warm the grill to medium-high heat. Toss together all the ingredients up to and including the lime juice in a bowl. Grill the onion and chicken until cooked through and lightly charred (about 4 minutes per side).
- Let the chicken rest 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the fixings and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Recipe adapted fromBon AppetitSKM: below-content placeholder