Russian tea cookies or, as some may know them, Mexican wedding cookies, are yummy, buttery cookies that are light as air and melt in your mouth. These cookies are full of flour and butter and love, and they are the perfect treat to bring to any occasion. With just six ingredients (five if you decide to omit the nuts), these delicious bites can be yours in under half an hour! Whatever you end up calling them, make these cookies, pronto, and reap the rewards!
Yields 4 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Then pour in vanilla extract.
- Add in flour and salt and mix until dough begins to come together.
- Fold in pecans and mix until just incorporated but don’t over mix. If dough gets over worked, place it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes before continuing.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon (1-1 1/2-inch) balls of dough and place them on lined baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for about 8 minutes, or until bottoms are just browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool 2-3 minutes. Fill a shallow bowl with remaining powdered sugar.
- Roll cookies in sugar until coated, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Re-roll cookies in powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Crazy For CrustSKM: below-content placeholder