What’s better than a delicious cone full of mint chocolate chip ice cream? A rich and moist chocolate cupcake topped with mint chocolate chip buttercream frosting! It tastes just like the ice cream, so it’s like two desserts in one! This recipe is perfect for birthday parties and kids will adore their ice cream cone-topped treats you could even get their help with the frosting and cone distribution to make them even more special! It’s fine if you don’t love mint or mint chocolate chip ice cream to begin with, but we promise you these cupcakes are out of this world and will change your life forever — in a good way! Try them and you won’t be disappointed!
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup hot water, boiling
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt, optional
- green food coloring (5 drops)
- 12 ice cream cones, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a medium, heat-proof bowl, whisk cocoa powder and baking soda together.
- Pour in boiling water and stir until well blended. Mixture will bubble up. Let cool.
- Mix together flour and salt in a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down sides and beat in eggs one at a time. Wait for each egg to be fully incorporated before adding the next one. Then add vanilla extract.
- 1/3 cup at a time, add in flour mixture until just combined, then slowly pour in cocoa mixture and heavy cream. Mix well.
- Pour batter into cupcake tins until they are 3/4 full (about 1/4 cup) and bake for 16-17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting: in a large bowl or mixer, whip butter on medium speed for 2-4 minutes, or until lightened in color and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and mint extracts, then slowly add powdered sugar and cream. Mix for another 5 minutes. Don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Fold in chocolate chips by hand and frost cupcakes once they’re cool.
Tip: Add more heavy cream if frosting is too thick, more powdered sugar if it’s too thin. Add salt if it’s too sweet, and more food coloring or mint if needs more color or flavor.
- Serve immediately with ice cream cones as garnish.
Recipe adapted from Cooking ClassySKM: below-content placeholder