We dare you to eat just one of these chewy chocolatey squares…impossible!
If there’s one word to describe these brownies, it’s “perfection.” They’ve got a dense and chewy brownie layer topped with a creamy, chocolaty frosting that’s just what we need when a chocolate craving hits. Being the chocoholics that we are, these brownies are somewhat of a staple in our house.
There’s something about homemade brownies that elevates the treat to the next level. Sure, boxed mixes are great in a pinch, but it’s really worth it to take the extra 10 minutes to whip these babies up from scratch. And our buttermilk frosting is absolute heaven! We love taking these brownies to parties, picnics and bake sales (when we’re in the mood to share) but at home, our brownies are delicious on their own, and even more fantastic served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some fresh fruit. Give our decadent frosted brownies a try the next time you need to cure a chocolate craving.
Chocolate Frosted Brownies
- 1 (level) cup unsweetened cocoa powder divided; 3/4 cup for brownies, 1/4 cup for frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided; 3/4 cup for brownies, 1/4 cup for frosting
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided; 2 teaspoons for brownies, 1 teaspoon for frosting
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-by-11 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Microwave 3/4 cup butter in a large microwave-safe bowl in 10-second increments until melted. Add 3/4 cup cocoa powder and granulated sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Stir to combine. Add flour and mix well.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Buttermilk frosting: combine milk and vinegar in a small saucepan. Allow to sit 5 minutes or until milk begins to curdle. Add reserved butter and cocoa powder. Boil mixture until butter is melted and cocoa is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and reserved vanilla to frosting mixture. Whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Allow brownies to cool completely. Spread frosting on brownies before serving.
Recipe adapted from Key Ingredient