Our “stuffed” zucchini boats are an all-in-one meal that makes weeknight cooking fast and delicious!
Weeknight dinners need to be quick and easy without compromising taste or quality. We’ve got a few go-to meals in our recipe box that are perfect for the busy work week, and our stuffed zucchini boats are exactly what we turn to when life gets a little hectic. We like to use up all that extra zucchini that our garden’s producing en masse by making stuffed zucchini boats. This way, we sneak some veggies into dinner and create a dish that everybody loves.
Zucchini stuffed with sausage and cheese…what’s not to love? Add in a few seasonings and you’ve got a dynamite meal that is sure to be devoured. This dish is easy to mix up, and perfect for a busy weekday night when we have work, play dates, school, and sporting activities to contend with. Plus, with the vegetable base, it’s an all-in-one meal: no side dish needed! Zucchini boats are the ultimate no-stress dinner idea!
Serves 4; 45 minutes
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage, turkey or chicken
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Pierce zucchini skin multiple times with fork to vent steam. Microwave zucchini on high for 2 minutes. Rotate and microwave for 1-2 more minutes.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise and scrape out inside until 1/4-inch shell remains.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove and drain on paper towel. Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant. Return sausage to skillet and season with salt and pepper
- Place zucchini into a 9x13-inch baking dish (or ovenproof skillet). Trim bottoms with peeler as needed so zucchini halves sit straight. Spoon meat mixture into zucchini shells. Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until zucchini is fork tender and cheese is bubbly.
- Top zucchini boats with chopped parsley and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Wellness Mama