Although quinoa is still one of the most misunderstood foods on the planet, we’re glad to introduce you to this savory quinoa salad that takes no time at all to prepare. The recipe may say salad, but you can make this a meal unto itself thanks to the protein in quinoa and the nutrition of the vegetables. For a little extra protein and a heartier meal, consider adding 1 cup cooked and diced chicken. Quinoa is a grain from South America, and has become a popular alternative to typical North American staples, such as wheat and rice, for more than 10 years now. A great dressing is the final ingredient that really pulls this salad together. Savor the joy of quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) thanks to this super flavorful recipe.
Serves 4 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen corn, thawed
- 2-3 tablespoons green onion, diced
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup smoked gouda, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cups kale, baby spinach, or arugula
- Boil 1 3/4 cups water in medium saucepan. Add quinoa, cover, and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard while quinoa cooks. Set aside.
- Shred kale (or spinach or arugula), and dice green onions. Set both aside.
- Put cooked quinoa in large bowl.
- Add corn, kale, green onions and smoked gouda. Toss with dressing.
- Serve warm or cold.
Recipe adapted from Girl Makes Food