If you love the combination of tangy and sweet, the citrus twist with these lemon sugar cookies are just your style.
If you love the combination of tangy and sweet, the citrus twist with these lemon sugar cookies are just your style. Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, these sweets sing with the tanginess of lemon. We love that you don’t have to worry about time-consuming things like chilling the dough, rolling it out or cutting it in shapes. Just form the dough in balls, and pop them in the oven.
These buttery, delicate treats are irresistible just as they are, but they play well with other foods too. Dress up these tart little confections with a drizzle of lemon glaze if you’re serving tea and biscuits to the Queen. For a family dessert, serve these zesty cookies alongside dishes of ice-cream for delicious dipping.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Serves 48 30min
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2/3 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Mix softened butter and sugar in another bowl until well-blended and fluffy.
- Blend egg, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon zest into butter mixture.
- Add flour mixture gradually. Mix until just combined.
- Roll dough into balls using about 2 tablespoons of dough per ball.
- Place balls on baking sheet. Space them about 2 inches apart to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Cookies should be golden on the bottom.
- Cool on wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Real Housemoms