It’s not just a great book, this snack is absolutely delicious!
Fried green tomatoes are perfect for potluck gatherings: they taste great, work as both a starter or a side, and complement most any other dish. As an added bonus, this Southern staple is simple and easy to prepare, making it ideal for times when you’re too busy to spend hours toiling away in the kitchen. In fact, the total preparation and cooking time is just under 15 minutes!…. It’s hard to believe a dish this easy could taste so good!
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 green tomatoes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Wash tomatoes and cut into thin, 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Place flour in a separate, shallow bowl and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir together to combine.
- Coat tomato slices in flour, then shake off excess and dip them in egg wash. Dredge again in flour mixture.
- Pour 2 inches vegetable oil into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Place breaded tomato slices in the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- Remove tomato slices from oil using a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes