This classic cake is packed with fresh fruit, making it absolutely irresistible!
Treat yourself to this scrumptious cherry cake for dessert after a wonderful meal or along with your coffee for breakfast on the weekend. Made with fresh cherries, this dish satisfies our sweet tooth and has just the right amount of tartness. The recipe itself is simple, so you can make this after a long day, or just save it for a leisurely afternoon in the kitchen, it’s up to you…just know you can’t go wrong with this fresh treat!
Classic Cherry Cake
Serves 9 - 12 1 hour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved, divided
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds or almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar, white granulated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Use butter or a non-stick cooking spray to coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch baking pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- With your stand mixer or hand mixer, beat eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until lightened in color and ribbony, 3 to 5 minutes. Blend in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Mix in cooled butter and milk with a spatula or wire whisk until just combined, then gradually stir in flour mixture until lightly moistened.
- Finally, fold in 1/2 cup cherries. Pour mixture into greased baking dish, using a spatula or the back of a spoon to smooth out the surface.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven. Place remaining cherries cut side down on top of the cake and return the pan to oven.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the top is a golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove and place cake on a wire rack to cool for at least 10-15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking