We are all about quick bread. They take mere minutes to mix together, they make a convenient on-the-go breakfast or anytime snack, and they are hard to distinguish from loaf cake. (Because maybe they’re really just one and the same?) The flavor variations for quick bread can be endless, but this unique combo has us head over heels. It’s chewy and tart and moist, and everything you want out of a sweet little slice.
Some of you might find it totally weird to put zucchini in a baked good, but we promise there’s good reason for it. (It works for carrots, right?) The zucchini flavor really just fades away into whatever thing you might be baking it into so you don’t have to worry about it overwhelming the dish. And it does a lot of good: it helps add moisture to any cake or bread, it packs in a ton of extra veggie nutrients, and it helps use up that ever-prolific summer squash. We think it’s a very good thing.
In this quick bread, each bite is flecked with a subtle zing of fresh lemon and a pop of tart cranberry, all backed by a moist and sweet dough. The zucchini adds a nice toothsome bite and some good fiber and vitamins, but it doesn’t steal the show. It’s a great recipe to add to your loaf rotation!
Lemon Cranberry Zucchini Bread
Serves 6-8; 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup dried cranberries, divided
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine oil, eggs, and sugar and mix until well combined. Add milk, lemon juice and lemon zest, stirring until thoroughly incorporated.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Fold in shredded zucchini and 3/4 cup of the cranberries.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and top with remaining cranberries. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5-10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice, serve, and enjoy!