We think we’ve stumbled upon a stroke of sweet genius with this absolutely amazing treat. There’s really no better way to combine two of our favorite guilty pleasures than putting chocolate and cheesecake together in a one cookie. At first glance these appear to be a simple chocolate cookie, but one bite reveals a hidden treasure – sweet cream cheese. Don’t gobble them up too quickly! These cookies are meant to be savored.
If you’re looking to step up your cookie game, we definitely recommend giving these a try. It’s hard to resist the heavenly combination of chocolatey sweetness and creamy filling. This is a great way to jazz up the usual cookie routine and makes for a unique bake sale item, something a little different from the usual chocolate chip or snickerdoodle. Go ahead and make yourself an extra special treat – we hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Chocolatey Cheesecake Cookies
Serves 16-20 cookies; 1 hour
- Chocolate Cookie Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable shortening OR 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature and cubed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line a baking sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- Beat shortening or butter with both sugars until creamy. Add eggs, water, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to butter and sugar batter until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese and powdered sugar together. Refrigerate cookie dough and cream cheese for 15-20 minutes before moving on to the next step.
- Scoop a rounded tablespoonful of cookie dough and roll into a ball, then press ball flat to make a disk. In center of disk place a teaspoon-sized scoop of cream cheese mixture, roll into a ball, then wrap disk around cream cheese and roll into a ball.
- Place each cookie at least 1-inch apart on lined baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Briefly cool on baking sheet then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Melanie Makes