When you think of a cheese ball, you probably think of something savory… something with at least a little bit of cheddar involved. Well this particular cheese ball caters more to those with a sweet tooth. It’s equally as great set out for a party spread as the savory versions, but with its chocolate cheesecake filling and crushed candy cane coating, it represents the sweeter side of the holiday season.
It takes just a few ingredients and few minutes to assemble. You start by beating together some cream cheese, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, butter, and peppermint extract until it’s nice and smooth…
… and then you place the mixture on some plastic wrap where you shape it into a ball before letting it chill for a bit.
Once it’s firm, you roll it in some crushed candy canes for an extra peppermint crunch, and your job is done. (See, isn’t that easy?!)
You can think of this kind of like a dippable chocolate-peppermint cheesecake. The interior is creamy and sweet with a rich chocolate and peppermint flavor, while the outside has a lovely candy crunch. Rather than the usual crackers, serve it up with something like pretzels, gingersnaps, or graham crackers, and dig in!
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Ball
Serves 6-8; 5 minutes active, 2+ hours inactive
- 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Crushed candy canes, as needed
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing on low until combined. Add cocoa powder, peppermint extract, and salt and mix until well incorporated.
- Shape into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours, and roll in crushed candy canes.
- Serve with pretzels, graham crackers, or cookies, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Dip Recipe Creations.