The tots are a foundation of the dish here – not just a topping!
I don’t feel like it would be a controversial statement to say that tater tots are universally loved. They make an excellent side, but when you can fold them into a main dish? Even better. Enter: our Creamy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole, where tater tots are much more than just a topping… they’re actually incorporated into the dish.
This is one of those recipes that’s a great solution when you have leftover chicken in the fridge. Pair that with some tots (that you can easily keep on hand in the freezer), and a few other ingredients, and you’re in business. Those other ingredients? Well, there’s just a few. This is anything but complicated.
The base of the dish is both sour cream and cream of chicken soup, which make for an irresistibly creamy sauce that’s also seasoned with a packet of zesty ranch mix. There’s also bacon and cheddar cheese, and all you have to do is stir everything together and pop it in the oven! There’s no separate topping to worry about or layering to be done, just stir and bake.
That easy preparation means it’s the perfect thing for busy weeknights but it’s also a totally craving-inducing dish. Lots of crunchy, comforting tots surrounded by an oh-so-creamy sauce and just the right level of cheesiness… well that’s the kind of dinner that always sounds good.
Creamy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
10m prep time
40m cook time
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (1 oz) packet Ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (2 lb) bag tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, sour cream, soup, ranch mix, black pepper, bacon, and cheese. Gently fold in frozen tater tots.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and bake until golden brown and bubbly, 40-45 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Gonna Want Seconds.