Remember Chicken Gloria? It’s pretty much the quintessential vintage creamy chicken and mushroom casserole. It’s a Betty Crocker recipe that’s decades old, so you might remember your mom or even your grandma making it. The chicken bakes in a creamy sauce that’s punctuated with a kick of sherry, and it’s absolutely perfect served over tender egg noodles. And like all great casseroles, it’s a cinch to make.
You start by dredging your chicken breasts in flour…
… and then browning them quickly in a pan. You don’t need to cook them through here, that will happen in the oven later.
After the chicken comes out, mushrooms and butter hop in and cook until they’re fragrant and soft.
Sherry and cream of mushroom soup round out the sauce, which gets poured over the chicken…
… and then topped with slices of muenster or swiss.
Things get melty and bubbly in the oven.
And all that’s left to do is eat! Since this is plenty saucy, it’s great served over pasta or rice, but egg noodles are my favorite way to go with this.
The sherry brightens up the cream of mushroom soup just enough, but it’s still so creamy and full of earthy mushroom flavor. It’s a timeless casserole for sure!
Chicken Gloria Casserole
15m prep time
30m cook time
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1 (18 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 6 slices Swiss or Muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set aside a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Once hot, brown the chicken on both sides. (You don't need to cook it all the way through; it will finish cooking in the oven.) Transfer chicken to baking dish.
- Add butter to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Let cook until golden brown. Stir in sherry, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in soup, mixing well, and cook until heated through.
- Pour sauce over chicken and top with cheese slices.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and turn oven to broil. Broil until cheese has browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Top with parsley and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe from Betty Crocker.