This dinner knocked my socks off…you and your fam will love it!
We love all different types of food, but if we were stuck between a rock and a hard place, some creamy combination of chicken and pasta would win out every time. Lucky for us, chicken francaise is the perfect dish: deliciously fried chicken breasts served over spaghetti with a bright and citrusy, white wine sauce…it doesn’t get any better than that! While there are a few different components to consider while making this – pounding the chicken out to an even thinness, frying it, making the sauce, etc. – the finished result is mouth-wateringly good and you’ll be glad you put in the extra time. Try it and see for yourself!
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- spaghetti, optional
- Place chicken breasts (individually) between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper and use a meat mallet or other heavy object to flatten them to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Dredge chicken breasts in flour (that’s been seasoned generously with salt and pepper), then shake off excess and dip them in beaten eggs.
- Drip off excess, then carefully transfer chicken to hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. 4-5 minutes total.
- Transfer breasts to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- If planning on serving with pasta, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook noodles according to packaging directions, or until al dente.
- Discard remaining oil and use a paper towel to wipe out skillet, then add butter and return to heat.
- To the butter, add chicken broth, white wine and lemon juice, and season with parsley.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, then return chicken to pan and coat in sauce.
- Serve chicken with pasta and spoon extra pan juices over the top.
Recipe adapted from Recipe 30